Saturday, May 14, 2011

Starving in India. Working in India.



Subject: Starving in India...

From: info@girlskirtmission.com

Date: Wed, October 17, 2007 7:13 am

To: Robert G

I'm so hungry. Hey, is this a theme or what?

Wasn't I flying around without nourishment when I talked to you by phone when I was in US?? I'm not underweight so this isn't a problem but it is a problem if you know what I mean.

Ok. a big eeewwwwwww! on your little story.

Yes, it's all true. Although I had no idea about the carrying on the head. yuk. (human waste) It is common to see men's backsides as they use the sides of the road, up close to a wall relieving themselves. These are normal men off their two wheelers (as motorcycles are known here) not street people.

When you see the masses on the road and sidewalk, the question does arise... where does one go? no wonder streets are ok for the men. Some of the coffee places don't even have public bathrooms.

I'm sick. 3 1/2 hrs. sleep didn't help. In my room all day today retreating from the chaos of life here.Some self inflicted. Manufacturing is always a tough one especially if you are starting wit new unit and... one in the corner of an unpaved corner of the world off the main road that is home to many parked lorry trucks, trash heap and just for kicks a nice coconut e tree in the middle of the narrow bumpy dirt road leading to factory gate.

I BOUGHT A NEW digital camera mine has been problematic for years AND OMG! It has...video feature. Yesterday on way to factory I was catching the whole passing scene from the backseat of the car (Toyota minivan). Including a mom in full sari and helmet and three children on a motorcycle with her (the norm) she has the youngest in front against the handlebars standing, two young daughters behind her holding on.

So a pancake stack of 4 zooming alongside us. When they spotted my camera they were all smiles and waves and "Happy journey!!" Was very funny. I passed them twice over long distance and then when we slowed to turn.... there they were... they pulled over and came to the window to say hi and ask for chocolates. I passed two chocolate bars through the window to a young girl in full burka while stopped alongside a big loud old bus. Only her eyes and head visible in the window. "What country?" she asked ...one answers with a pause.

Wonder how many of them hate us.

I can speak some fast Serbian and pretend I'm from the village of my birth.

Or from Mars my real hometown.

I document my whole ride to the factory including stills inside.

I'm going to post the wild ride on my "blog" someday.

Ok. Few things on the fast. (The house boy is running out to get me some needed nourishment and I write in the guest house on my laptop to avoid the work I have to maneuver in the next days with the production. It's a monster job is all I know. And I'm not at my best at the moment).

To answer a long ago question.

Another from sheer memory... I am as we speak holding a sample with a pocket for the pants based on a pant made by my Delhi lady. It is too good.

My website and resolution I have to ask my web guy. Yes, I have high res. Yes, I've seen the site on other screens. Especially in India on really old computers and it resorts to scrolling bars so it shouldn't cut off anything but just give annoying scroll bars to see the whole site?

Anyway these are things to attack when I am done with this hell of a job.

Bright spot is Cathy in Chicago sent me some needed samples I didn't have here AND they are really well sized (had some issues with last order in front rise being short). And just getting these good versions of the pants made my day. So many sizing spec issues going on for two days... 7-8 hrs. at the factory mostly sitting around.

Passed out the other night it wears you out.

I had fun with the people working there... if you only knew... it's small so all departments (sewing, cutting, finishing, are all in one big room) and as I walk in every head in long rows turns and stares at me.

I walk in to a sea of eyes. It is embarrassing and funny. I bought a big bag of candies and had the manager pass one out to each sewing machine. Since then it's all smiles and fun. Even... yes Love. I really do love these people. If I could I'd give them all an envelope with a bonus. $10-20 would be a big deal.

For now one little sweet was all.

But now I'm the star there. Although if they bring me one more tea with SO MUCH sugar I will have to explode in an epileptic seizure. Why am I writing all this to you?

I don't know but I hope you enjoy it.

Drought followed by a torrential rain. That is me.

I do appreciate all the efforts you are making on GSM.

Trying my pants on today, yes, again I could affirm, they are the coolest pants on the planet.

In fact I bought that domain name. To build just one cool page of pants another way to route people to my store.

My..food is here!

Ok.

Off I go to feed myself. Someday maybe the masses.

It really is a crime don't you think that there are hungry people in this world?

IT's crazy.

The world is crazy the only crazy thing is... it doesn't know it :)

Signing off from comfort of her discomfort in India.

Bestest regards,

Milijana

No comments: